Wednesday 26 June 2013

Strawberry spinach ☼☼☀☀☀☼☼

Strawberry Spinach
When We first planted the strawberry spinach seeds aka ( chenopodium capitatum ) last year it was a little to late, We never got to see it flower/fruit, and to be honest I didn't even realize it would come back ( Im a little to use to my exotics right now ). But as soon as spring rolled around I recognized it right away. Now that june has arrived these beauties are shining in all there glory. When I first tasted the leaves I was stunned, there was something to it I just couldn't figure out, I've heard people say its a nutty flavour, but that didn't seem right, and I've heard others say spinach, but that isn't it either, and then all of a sudden it hit me, WHAAM!!.. 

!≥≤! GRAPE !≥≤!  

To me its like a very light grape minus the sugar, and unlike lettuce there is no bitterness thankfully, even in flowering. Now heres the odd part, when I tasted the berry I expected something strawberry like, or heck.. just some type of berry at least,  
this was not the case. 
I guess I'll be the one to say it, {{DrumRoll}} ❍!❍!❍!❍!❍!❍!❍!❍!❍! 
THEY TASTE LIKE SPINACH!!!! 

Its....Hmmmm.... not as bad as it sounds. 
Its only a light spinach taste, but I really wasnt expecting that. While it has little in berry flavour, they go perfect in salads or yogurts, fruit parties, bragging rights, experiments 
( ice cream, strawberry and rhubarb desert, vinegars, pickles or jarred vegg  ). 
But the fact that these seeds/plants survived our winter and are quick to flower, providing edible leaves and fruit most of the year,  
puts this plant on top of the edible landscapers list for me. 
And just between me and you.... ( looks cautiously from side to side
I think the leaves taste better then lettuce.    
Strawberry spinach fruit


Strawberry spinach + strawberry spinach leaves + fruit 

Native plants + North american plants +Strawberry spinach 

No comments:

Post a Comment