Monday 1 July 2013

Allen gardens ⦗⧈⧈⦾⦾⦿⦾⦾⧈⧈ ⦘ ⫷ Toronto greenhouses ⫸

Banana fruit at Allen gardens 
We recently took a trip to allen gardens to see the flowering variegated century plant, with a time span for flowering once every 30 years ( and for Canada its around 70 years ), you can understand why its important to see it while you can. While everything was great, flowers were all in bloom,
I couldn't help but be disappointed by the lack of info on plants, heck.. the majority of the time there wasn't even a name tag, am I wrong for wanting more I thought ?
There was one fruit tree labeled ( kinda surprised there weren't more edibles really, only 6 fruit trees in the whole place ) And surprisingly, a lot of the cacti, bananas, and orchids are very common nowadays.

I don't know, maybe I was expecting to much, Just thought that a place with such history would have some really REALLY rare plants,  maybe being a foodie didn't help either, I was hoping to much for something Ive never seen.
Ahh well...
I should look on the bright side, they had a very impressive set of bananas ( good 30/40 ft ), some were flowering!. there jade vine was stunning, we got to see a turtle, They have a cacti that looks like it came out of mario bro's!, I realized how much I want birds in my greenhouse AND how much I want a waterfall in my house.

My closing statement.
I call for a renegade labeling of Allen gardens, label everything you can!!, if you know a lot about plants lets get this done! WE CAN DO IT!
Musa Banana fruiting at Allen gardens

Strawberry guava fruiting

Some type of datura, Do you know?

Bougainvilla AKA Paper flower tree - (THANKS FOR THE HELP CINTIA!)

Jade vine AKA Strongylodon macrobotrys flowering

Jade vine flower ( I want this plant! unreal looking flower)

Crown of thorn red flowers

Agave filifera AKA thread agave

No name on cacti

Crown of thorns yellow flower

Variegated century plant AKA Variegated agave Americana 

Variegated century plant flowering stalk

Allen Gardens century plant (agave americana) flowering, took roughly 70 years to flower

Mountain aloe

Mountain aloe (base)

No name cacti, If you know what this is please help.

Fig tree with fruit

Fig tree to the left ( can you spot the kale and olive tree?)
If it wasn't for the fact that I grow most of these myself Im not sure how others would know what they were looking at, as nothing here was labeled, shame.
Another pond with a few goldfish

?????what is that blue flowering plant?????
Nothing here was labeled either, but a few I could decipher, there was a Calamondin in the back and a kumquat of some kind beside it ( its the tree with orange fruit at the far left in the back ) Everything else I have no clue ( except for some type of cycad right under the blue flower )
There was no name on around the plant, if anyone knows what this is please chime in

Waterfall display ( is it wrong I want this in my house?, lol ) 

Queen sago fern 

epiphyte AKA areophyte or air plant
Epiphyte flowering ( air plant flower )




Turtle getting some sun on a rock


Heliconia

5 comments:

  1. Hello!

    What a lovely blog post. I just wanted to let you know the first "unknown" plant (with the fiery orange/peach flowers) is one of my favourites - the Bougainvillea! An absolutely stunning flower that grows in the wild in my native Portugal. Also wild growing in Portugal is the strawberry guava...I was shocked to see this in your blog post as it is so very rare here in Canada. I've got a plant here at home and the fruit is delicious!

    Thanks for the post, and you've definitely piqued my interest in visiting Allen Gardens for the first time.

    Have a nice day!
    Cintia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful! I believe you got it! Thanks for your help, they are an amazing flower, very interesting to touch.
      The strawberry guava is certainly a gem too, We are growing the strawberry and pineapple at the moment, very tasty stuff.

      Im glad you liked the post, and allen gardens is certainly worth while, the air inside is intoxicating, plants are all in bloom, and being thats its free! Its a great way to get lost in an inner city oasis.

      Good day to you as well,

      Rob

      Delete
  2. Hello again Rob,
    Question: ?????what is that blue flowering plant?????
    Answer: Delphinium!

    I remembered randomly as I was walking through a garden centre this weekend. Hope you didn't get any damage with the recent storms.

    Have a nice day!
    Cintia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've got a good eye there cintia, and that brain aint to shabby either. Thank you!!


      Weve had a few crazy wind storms now haven't we, so far the fort is still held down and the greenhouse hasn't blown away so things are good, thanks for your consideration and I hope you weren't put through to much either, this weater sure is getting..... interesting.

      Rob

      Delete
  3. "No name cacti, If you know what this is please help" It's not a cacti, but a very slow-growing cycad called a sago palm. I believe it's only once a year (maybe twice), that a new crown of fronds will form (other plantlets will however form in the trunk). The fronds (pinnate) you see will slowly lower to a horizontal plane, growing all the while, turning dark green, and producing sharply-pointed leaflets. Let me know if this helped... Jeffrey Staley... fordingfjord@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete