Sunday 12 October 2014

Petroglyphs park Ontario, Canada. 📷NO PHOTOS ALLOWED! 📹 WTF! 📷


 (ALL SHOT ON IPHONE)

Petroglyph provincial park
As soon as I heard about Petroglyphs provincial park there was something that had me hooked, I just had to come see and feel the history involved here. It was a picture perfect day ( And that's were the trouble begins ) 
betwixt bountiful bold blue sky's and a cool crisp breeze; the air was filled with the fragrance of fall, nestled amongst celebrating trees erupting in contrasts of oranges, red's, and yellows. 
I couldn't wait to take some pictures. Then, I saw the sign. 

{No Photography}

*yells outloud*
 
youve got to be kidding me!  


Petroglyphs provincial parl
The one thing I can tell you is, I don't like paying to enter national parks, 
I find it to be an outrageous form of governmental tyranny, but this is a whole other debacle I wont get into right now. 
You will be charged $14 per car to get in. Do not plan on bringing your dog to the petroglyphs areas, they are not welcome, you cant even get close as its considered a sacred site and animals are barred from even entering near. 
On top of that, you are PROHIBITED from taking photos of the actual petroglyphs, or, anywhere even close to the site. This REALLY threw me for a loop and it took me a while to calm down ( it was not advertised ANYWHERE online that you cant take photos.) as, I was really hoping on getting a photo, I don't have a great memory so it helps to have something, and I like to study things at later dates as well. 
I understand its claimed to be sacred, but Ive visited many sacred sites and Ive never been told no photography, in any culture,  especially when its as open to the public like this. Can you imagine them saying no photography at the sphinx? or the London castles? or the holy wall? or the Vatican? 
I don't know.... 
Maybe its the fact Ive seen contradictions here and what looks like a whole bunch of other people online with photos. 
Soooooo..... how did they get them? 
I know, I know, I have this problem with things being fair.

The other thing that baffles me is, if the site was sacred, why was it abandoned for thousands of years? How is it people would forget about a sacred site? Being that its the largest amount of petroglyphs in one area of Canada I cant imagine people would forget about it, right? So why did it take a Canadian miner from the 1950's to find it? It just sends my brain up the wall!. From the sounds of it, when you read the wording there and online, it sounds like they don't even know what tribe it really belongs to, yet, we have a certain tribe claiming it and placing laws and restrictions based on their beliefs? What if it was another tribe who would like the idea of photos? Obviously the original people who carved them wanted their stories to be seen and told/last forever, why else carve them in rock? 
But honestly, what better way then to allow people to take a photo and put it online, allowing it to carry on forever; opening people up to embrace/ enjoy/ wonder at/ learn from/ imagine about/hold dear and one day, hopefully travel and see these amazing powerful carvings.  Opening up knowledge to everyone, allowing study of the carvings from new angles and perspectives might give rise to the   possibility of noticing something entirely new. 
IT HAS DONE AND ALWAYS WILL HAPPEN.
I don't know, maybe its the inner lawyer in me, or the philosopher, or maybe I'm missing something? But in this day in age, not being able to take a photo of a rock carving messed with my brain. lol.
Like I mean, of all contradictions, It looked like they had security cams in the place, so security cams are fine but no personal cams? huh?
Am I wrong here?






You know, maybe its just the fact that I don't like needless laws and I crave freedom. I just read about the U.S implementing a law were it is now illegal to take photos of any land belonging to the government. YES, ALL provincial parks/buildings/etc are now off limit unless you buy a $1000+ permit package. (http://www.fs.fed.us/news/releases/us-forest-service-chief-i-will-ensure-first-amendment-upheld-under-agency-commercial)

They say this law only applies to commercial use. (Ya, Right) 
Well, we all should know governments by now. So, we all should be aware that these laws can and are usually manipulated by their enforcers.  
Native American Petroglyphs
IT WILL NOT BE JUST NEWS/MEDIA like they want you to think. Their terminology of "commercial use" is beyond vague. Allowing their enforcers to use a broad sweep trolling like law catching up ANYONE and EVERYONE, and just like police of todays age, if all you are is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.  Their use of , what I see as, theft and extortion, leeching monies in an attempt to further their own agendas is a clear sign of living in a flawed system. Coupled with their use of force, attempting to ensure compliance through violence is one of the hugest flaws in our democracy and is akin to the abusive stepfather using violence to get his way, and in return, creating a child who then becomes an abuser later on in life. Essentially creating a cyclical system of violence.

Let me pose to you a question.
If I take a photo of me and a friend in a park and put it on a blog as a background picture, what happens if that blog makes any money? You see, because I took a picture and have a park in the background on a blog that makes money, regardless if its micro pennies or big dollars, I then get labeled as a criminal, charged, threatened to pay fines, and then finally threatened with violence. 
Your  probably thinking,  
ya, but how would they find a picture on my little old blog?
IT CAN BE DONE
If they can recognize your face with street cameras they can find copyrighted/protected/unlawful material on the net. Its all about algorithms my friend.  All in the hopes of taking easy money, or, the more upfront/bold/sensationalized term, 
-taking candy from a baby . 


The problem is, everyone has their own business identity nowadays, everyone is their own entrepreneur. Everyone has a youtube or flickr page, you would be hard to find someone who wouldn't be affected by this law. 
This whole thing absolutely infuriates me, the depths governments are willing to go to squeeze their citizens pockets, hearts and souls is despicable. It has installed in me a passion for honesty and freedom that is beyond what we have in our current system, and I suppose that's why when I saw the 
(no photos) sign, that $1000 permit story REALLY hit home with me. :Mini Rant done

The one place your allowed to take photos is the learning centre; it was filled with native art, pictures of Petroglyphs and Native American stories. A lady asked me to help take a picture of her with her kids using her camera, I kindly obliged. Just after it was done she sneezed, then started coughing,
I though to myself, Wonderful, ebola.

Native art
 I really like this sculpture.
Native art
The colours and wording were amazing.
Native petroglyphs

Native art

Petroglyphs

Petroglyphs


 There was no description, what the heck is this thing?

Petroglyphs park, Ontario
The path to the petroglyphs is about 5k with the sacred area starting well before. There is a few benches and picnic area if you do bring your dog and can go turn for turn with someone. The park is filled with lots of amazing walking trails so its just a little frustrating when you bring your dog along and then you cant go see the glyphs. 
Petroglyphs park Ontario Canada

Wasn't really anything labeled for some reason.  It looks like there was coding to something but for all I could see, nothing.
Dragonfly
My new little buddy that waited with me on a bench. Plopped down right beside me like it was normal. Not a care in the world. I even hovered my phone right over top of it.
Dragonfly

Dragonfly



No comments:

Post a Comment